Rockstar Banana Bread/Muffins
You will need a 1L loaf pan for this recipe.
Spray oil, to grease
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
3 over-ripe bananas
1¾ cups (260g) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1. For the banana bread, preheat oven to 180?C and grease loaf pan with oil.
2. Using hand beaters, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add eggs and bananas and mix until combined, then add flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and mix until just combined.
3. Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
4. Set banana bread aside in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Alternatively, when slightly warm, cover in plastic wrap for a better result the following day, and a slightly sticky surface.
You can freeze your banana bread, wrapped well in plastic wrap for up to 2 months. It also toasts well.
You can pimp your banana bread by adding spices, such as such as cinnamon, ginger, allspice or vanilla. You can also add nuts, ground or in pieces, such as walnuts, pecans or dried fruit.
Maple butter icing
100g butter, at room temperature
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (60ml) maple syrup
Toasted pecans, to garnish (optional)
1. Using hand beaters, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, and the sugar has dissolved.
2. With the beaters on slow speed, add vanilla extract, then 1 tablespoon of maple syrup at a time, allowing syrup to incorporate before adding another tablespoon.
3. Ice banana bread and garnish with toasted pecans if desired.