Handmade Noodles with Grilled Scampi
150g ?00? flour
1 egg plus 3 egg yolks
12 scampi, split in half lengthways and cleaned
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoons plum vinegar
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoons mirin
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoons tamari
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoons caster sugar
1 shallot, roughly chopped
1/3 cup fresh peas, cooked
snow pea sprouts, for garnish
snow pea tendrils, for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place flour into food processor, add egg and yolks and pulse until combined. Turn out onto bench and lightly work until dough is formed. Cover in plastic wrap and leave 20 minutes to rest. Pass dough through pasta machine until setting 7. Cut into desired noodle shape. Set aside.
2. Remove meat from 16 scampi half shells, chop meat into bite size pieces and set aside. Roughly chop shells and place in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon plum vinegar, 1tablespoon mirin, 1 tablespoon caster sugar, shallot and 2 cups water. Place over medium heat and allow to simmer, stirring and crushing shells to release flavor. Continue to simmer about 15 minutes or until reduced by ½ then remove from heat. Strain and add scampi meat while still hot. Set aside.
3. Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil over medium heat.
4. Mix remaining ½ teaspoon plum vinegar, ½ teaspoon mirin, ½ teaspoon tamari and ½ teaspoon caster sugar in a bowl. Add remaining 8 scampi halves and toss to coat.
5. Place a grill pan over high heat and brush with oil. When hot, place scampi flesh side down, fry, turn, and continue cooking about 1 minute or until cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling, salted water and cook until al dente, about 2-3 minutes. Divide cooked pasta between 4 bowls. Add cooked scampi, cooked peas, snowpea sprouts, tendrils. Add reheated scampi broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.