The Perfect Carbonara
Gary demonstrated one large serve ? this recipe is to serve 4
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
200g guanciale, skin removed, cut into lardons
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
6 egg yolks, at room temperature
50g pecorino or parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
¼ cup (60ml) thickened cream
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, season with sea salt. Add spaghetti and cook for about 6 minutes or until just under al dente, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook guanciale for about 5 minutes or until guanciale is crisp and the fat starts to render. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until lightly golden.
3. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, cheese, cream, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl to combine.
4. Using tongs, remove pasta directly from saucepan and add to pan with guanciale. Add a ladle of pasta water and continue to cook for a further minute. Transfer pasta to bowl with egg mixture, tossing well to combine.
5. Divide pasta among bowls and serve immediately.